Pages

Saturday 20 October 2012

Upcoming Oscar: There will be fierce competition

For the Oscar for best actor. 
Of course, it's a bit early now to take part in any discussion. But I can't help it. I've been looking forward to "Lincoln" for a very long time, since the day I knew Daniel Day-Lewis was chosen for this film by Steven Spielberg. It makes me even more excited and anxious than the IB exams did. 
I have no doubt that Daniel Day-Lewis will be, as always, epic. He will not be simply a great actor portraying Lincoln, but will turn into Lincoln. In "In the name of the father" and "Gangs of New York" he was as magnificent and amazing as in "My left foot" and "There will be blood", but because of the characters with their complex emotions, the Oscar was given to Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia" and Adrien Brody in "The pianist" and I can't disagree. 
Look at the names mentioned here. I don't know who Joaquin Phoenix and John Hawkes are. Hugh Jackman, Denzel Washington and Richard Gere are not much of a threat, though it depends on the role- when Adrien Brody won the Oscar he was merely 29, the youngest, and it was also his 1st nomination. But Anthony Hopkins and Jamie Foxx are quite threatening. I wonder if Philip Seymour Hoffman's role in "The master" is leading or supporting, hope it's a supporting role so that he'll move onto another category. I must also add that "The master" is a film by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film director of "There will be blood". 
This is exciting. There will be fierce competition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).